Monday, January 31, 2011

Oysters with horseradish cream, pecorino and chives (cheats mornay)



Last night I found myself home alone as Captain Vegetarian had announced that he would be ‘offsite” at a work dinner. As much as I enjoy our evening meal together occasionally it is lovely to enjoy a little me time and cook myself a nice dinner for one.

Knowing this I had spent most of the morning planning my greedy plan of attack and by lunchtime I had settled on oysters…and not just any oysters, I wanted those lovely plump pacific oysters, a whole dozen of them all to myself!
When I got home I placed my tray of oysters in the fridge, poured myself a glass of wine and set about how I was going to prepare my oysters. Usually I am happy to have them natural served with lemon juice, salt an pepper but tonight I fancied something a little richer and more substantial.

By the time I had finished my glass of wine it was decided…I was going to have oysters with horseradish cream, pecorino and chives or as I like to call it “cheats mornay”.  So off I went collecting my ingredients from the fridge when the phone rang. It was my dad who was just around the corner and about to drop in for a visit which I thought was lovely. However, knowing my dad like I do (lets just say I had to get my gluttonous ways from someone) I frantically packed up the kitchen hiding all evidence of my oyster’s existence. If he new they were they were there I wouldn’t be enjoying a dozen oysters for dinner…

As dad was leaving he happened to ask what I was planning on having for dinner…I looked him in the eye l and said cheese on toast!

Per dozen
12 plump pacific oysters
60grams grated pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons of horseradish cream
2 tablespoons light thickened cream or greek yoghurt
1 tablespoons chopped chives
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 200ºC and line an oven tray with baking paper.

Line oyster up on your oven tray

Combine pecorino, horseradish cream, cream or yoghurt and half the chives. Mix well. Add mixture evenly to each oyster and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste.

Bake oysters for 10 minutes or until all bubbly. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment