Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pot roast chicken



For me there is nothing more comforting than the smell of roast chicken cooking in the oven. Roasting a chicken has a soothing and calming effect on me that always makes me feel like I am in a safe and secure place … I suppose some people might find that a little strange and may suggest aromatherapy oils to relax and unwind I however much prefer to roast a chook!
I especially enjoy pot roast chicken. I love the idea of layering my veggies in the bottom of the pot, adding chicken stock, white wine and thyme then placing the chicken in the pot covering up and adding to a hot oven… at the end you are presented with the most succulent chicken, tastiest veggies and best ever gravy, my mouth is watering just thinking about it…

Serves 4 – 6
1.6kg whole happy chicken
1 whole garlic bulb sliced in half
Mixture of roasting vegetables i.e. potatoes, carrots, onions, sweet potato, swede, turnips brussel sprouts …
10 sprigs of thyme
1 cup chicken stock
¼ cup dry white wine
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Preheat your oven 220ÂșC

In a large heavy based casserole pot layer your vegetables, add sprigs of thyme, chicken, wine, garlic and season well with salt and pepper.

Season the chicken inside and out, you can even add an onion cut in half or half a lemon to the cavity for extra flavour and place on top of the vegetables. Cover with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes to brown the chicken and reduce the cooking liquid.

Serve chicken and vegetables on warmed plated and drizzle with juices from the bottom of the pot…this is the perfect one pot dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment