Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pork cevapcici





How lovely is it to go shopping and come home with a nice new cookbook? The only problem is once I have made my purchase all I can think about is rushing home making myself a nice cup of tea, curling up the lounge and reading my new book cover to cover. Half the time I forget why I have had to go shopping and end up having to go back the next day to buy the rest of my poor forgotten items…

The lasted edition to find itself as an honorary member of my cookbook library is OMG I Can Eat That by Jane Kennedy. I really enjoyed Jane’s first book Fabulous Food Minus the Boombah and couldn’t wait to read her lasted instalment.
Now I warn you, carbohydrates are not included in either book. It appears Jane simply does not eat them as they make her arse huge. If you can get passed that you will find great recipes, beautiful pictures and hilarious stories about her battle with the scales. 
This dish came from a recipe I borrowed from OMG I Can Eat That. The original recipe was called Pork cevapcici and mustard pots with rocket parsley and red onion salad. However I served mine with a crunchy garden salad and as my gorgeous little mini sauce ramekins still had not been unpacked from our recent house move so dollop I add a dollop of Dijon mustard on the side.

Serves 4
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
500grams pork mince (not extra lean, you will need a little fat in this one)
1 large onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove finally chopped
½ cup almond meal
1 tablespoon olive oil

Crush the fennel seeds, chilli, sea salt and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle.

Combine the mince, spices, onion, garlic and almond meal in a large bowl and mix well.

Take a small handful of the mince mixture and shape into 12 small fat ‘fingers’. Line up on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.

Heat olive oil in a fry pan over medium – high heat. Add cevapcici and cook until cooked through.

Serve with salad and drizzle with lemon.

Confession… Although not in the picture I did eat this dish with a sneaky portion of crispy homemade chips ….Sorry Jane!

No comments:

Post a Comment