Friday, January 21, 2011

Thai beef salad



Although not entirely authentic this salad came together on a day when I was making a meal for one using only ingredients I had in my kitchen or growing in the garden. I was feeling lazy and couldn’t be bothered leaving the house.  I love those days when you can just shut the world out and potter around the kitchen or garden. Had I had the inclination to venture out I probably would have added a few other ingredients like crushed peanuts, cucumber, and fresh chilli. But I was having a use what you have day was very impressed by how this turned out. I enjoyed this salad with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc the sunshine of my garden.

May I present to you my version of a Thai Beef Salad
Serves 1
200gram scotch fillet steak
1 tablespoon olive oil
Handful cherry tomatoes sliced in half
½ red onion thinly sliced
Handful snow peas topped and tailed
Handful green beans topped and tailed
Handful snow pea sprouts
Handful fresh basil leaves
Handful mint leaves
Handful coriander leaves
Sea salt & cracked black pepper

Dressing
Juice of one lime
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 table spoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Prepare the dressing in a small bowl or jar, combine well and set aside

Rub steak with olive oil and cover with lashings of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Add to a piping hot fry pan and cook for 2 minutes each side (or longer depending how you like your steak) remove steak from heat and leave to rest in a warm place.

Add snow peas and green beans to a pot of salted boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add snow peas and green beans to a bowl of ice water (cold water with ice cubes added) with a slotted spoon. Drain veggies and set aside.

In a large bowl combine tomatoes, red onion, snow pea sprouts, basil, mint, coriander, snow peas and green beans. Add dressing and combine well. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Pile your salad up in bowl or on a plate. Slice your steak on an angle and place on top of the salad. Drizzle steak with any juices from the plate used to rest your steak … Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment